Tom’s Story

From Tom:

Aloha All,

I would like to reach out and share a story…  “Cancer”

As some of you may know, I’m a big supporter for the cure for cancer.  I’m no different that many out there, but it’s time I share my story.

When I was 2 years old, I lost my mother to a battle with cancer.

While growing up, I never missed a chance to ask my Dad and Aunties (her sisters), to tell me anything about my mom. They would share wonderful stories , and tried their best to help me connect to the mother I never had the chance to know.

Many years later while working at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, my Aunty came to visit me and shared the words I never expected to hear… she too was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I was crushed.

I left home and came to the Bay Area to work at the Culinary Institute of America. No sooner had I begun this new chapter in my life, my brother got cancer. He battled.. and beat it. We are all so grateful that he remains cancer free.

Today

Laying in bed this morning, I connected with my Dad in a way I never wanted to..now I know how my Dad felt all those years ago.

My beautiful wife, mother of our children, soulmate, by best friend, my lover, Danna Wong…. has Breast Cancer.

We feel so blessed today with the advancements in science and medicine, and the “Team” of incredible doctors we have, and we KNOW that she too, like my brother, will battle and beat this terrible disease.

Our Event

There are a few things that have carried us through many ups and down in life, one being the support of our family and friends. Paddling also has been, and continues to be a big part of our lives. Being on the water is a healing place for us both. So we decided to put these supports together, and created and event, “Paddle for a Cure”.

Now more than ever, we are motivated to give and help make a difference through the American Cancer Society. No matter how small, our contribution will be mighty!

Please consider joining our team… an event for people that share our same love for paddling, one another, and a hope to find a cure for Cancer!!

How We Support the American Cancer Society

There are so many ways that the money our team raises helps. It’s helping fund innovative research. It’s providing free information for people dealing with the disease. It’s providing rides to treatment and places to stay for people

who have to seek treatment far from home. In short, our money is helping save lives. Consider donating to our team and helping advance the cause!

Paddle for a Cure

Save the Date! Saturday, October 27th.

Tom has started a fundraising team for the American Cancer Society!

We are hosting PADDLE FOR A CURE-Tom’s Team as a ‘Satellite Event’ for Making Strides of San Francisco Bay Area fundraising walk.

Our goal is to raise $2,000 to help breast cancer research, and one to one support for breast cancer patients.

There are many ways to participate:

• Head over to our ACS team page and make a direct donation towards our cause.
  • You can join our team and paddle with us in Napa on 10/27
  • You can join our team and paddle wherever in the world you are!
  • You can join our team and go for a walk or just be active in any way.
  • You can join our team and ask people to sponsor YOU per mile/per hour/per block.
  • You can join our team just to get updates and see us smash our goal!!

Please post and share, and help us get the word out!

All monies raised are given directly to and through the American Cancer Society.

Of course, any donation is tax deductible!

Soon, we will have custom paddle jerseys available in both pink and gray… just waiting for final approval from the ACS! We’ll keep you posted!

2 thoughts on “Tom’s Story

1. Hi Tom: you know Mick and I are in…either in person in Napa on the 27th, perhaps bringing up some crews from Ke Kai to join our Ohana Wa’a family, AND/OR here in Monterey with others….more to come but you know we’re 100% committed. Mick’s sister is a breast cancer survivor, as is my mom, and of course our ‘sistah’ Lisa. So many impacted–all hale and hearty. Wrapping our arms around you!